Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Stupid RAT!

Why do people shine spotlights on the stupid groundhog and somehow expect that he WON'T see his shadow? Are they dense?

I woke up Saturday morning in a nest of warm blankets. After laying there in drowsy bliss for ten minutes or so, it dawned on me. It was "Rat Day," as I've come to think about it. The day that Punxsutawney Phil predicts the possible coming of spring.

Living in Western Pennsylvania for most of my life, I should know by now that by the beginning of February, I'm lucky if winter lasts for ONLY six more weeks. Sometimes it doesn't feel like spring around here until well into May. And yet, I've been conditioned to cross my fingers and pray that the rat won't see his shadow and that spring will miraculously arrive early!

Spring doesn't even officially start until March 21 - which is 8 weeks after the whole rat and his shadow shin ding. Has no one else noticed? Anyway, back to Saturday morning.

So I'm snuggled under the blankets and I realize that it is "Rat Day." And I have the unexplainable urge to find out if he saw his shadow - which I've already explained really doesn't make any difference in the weather here. I resisted the urge and went about my day, assuming that at some point I would get word of the results by radio or television or through daily conversation with friends.

Nothing - somehow, I made it until Monday at 11:30 before I knew if the rat had seen his shadow. And the only reason I knew then is because I picked up Heathen #2 at kindergarten and he told me (apparently Mrs. Oswalt, his teacher, was up to date on the events of Rat Day).

And I must admit, I was disappointed. Even though I know better, I really was hoping for good news - as though it will make a difference in the climate! And I KNOW that the chances of him not seeing his shadow are against me. Since 1887, when Rat Day began, he's only NOT seen his shadow 13 times - in 121 years. This can be checked on the official rat site http://www.groundhog.org/.

My personal favorite has to be the listing for the year 1929. Apparently, Phil predicted six more weeks of winter before sunrise. Well if the sun wasn't up, they must have had their spot lights on him.

Long live the Rat!

No comments: