Tuesday, February 5, 2008

100 mini marshmellow questions

Heathen #2 got into the car yesterday at the end of kindergarten and announced that he had an "important paper" for me. I mentally cringed. An "important paper," according to Heathen #2, could be anything from something he made in art class to a note from the principal stating that my child was beating people up in the bathroom. ALL papers are "important papers" to this child.

He pulls a slip of paper out of his backpack and hands it to me over the seat. The paper informs me that he has to take 100 mini marshmallows to school on Friday of this week. The class will be making a snack to celebrate that it's the 100th day of school. And there were instructions to please not send the item in a Ziploc bag as they will probably get smashed during transport.

Heathen #2 was ecstatic - I had made the mistake of reading the note aloud. You'd think I would know better considering that Heathen #2 IS #2 and supposedly I would have learned from my adventures with #1 - but, no.

I was immediately barraged with questions:
Can we go to the store now? - No.
Can we go to the store tonight? - No.
When will we go to the store? - As soon as I have time.
What am I going to put them in? - I have no idea.
Do I have to count them? - Yes.
So are we going to the store tonight? - NO!

After I got him dropped at the sitter's house, I had mini marshmallows on my brain and my own list of questions cycling through my head.

When am I going to get to the store? Can I manage to get to the store WITHOUT taking the kids? How many mini marshmallows are in one bag?
Do I need to buy one or two bags? WHAT am I going to do with the extra marshmallows? Since I'm not supposed to put them in a Ziploc bag, what can I use? How much is Heathen #2 going to badger me about this until I manage to get it done? Did Mrs. Oswalt think of all these things when she thought up this activity? Is there another mom in this class that is thinking the same question, but in terms of small pretzels or Rice Chex?

As of today, we've not made it to the store. Hopefully tomorrow - or Thursday night. He doesn't need them until Friday. Hurray for school projects.

No comments: