Sunday, May 8, 2016

Conversation and Time vs. A Card

I'll admit to not being a fan of Mother's Day - especially since I had Heathens.  At the Zoo, we celebrate big occasions in a big way.  Small occasions we tend to let slip by.

While we celebrate the Heathens birthdays, we let our own birthdays and anniversary come and go with little fanfare.

I don't need candy, flowers, a card, or some other present to make me feel loved as a mother.  Never have.  My Heathens and Asst. Zookeeper love me everyday.



I feel loved as a mother when at the ages of 10 and 14, the Heathens come a give me a kiss on the cheek before heading out the door for the bus in the mornings.

I feel loved as a mother when I seem overwhelmed and either Heathen #1 or the Asst. Zookeeper looks at me and says, "What do you need me to do to help?"

I feel loved as a mother when the older Heathens return from a weekend camping trip and want to tell me everything that happened BEFORE they raid the refrigerator.

I feel loved as a mother when the littlest Heathen asks for a "Mommy and Me Day - like when I was little and the boys were in school."

I feel loved as a mother when one of them had a rough day, and simply asks for a hug - as though I still have magical powers like they believed when they were small.

I feel loved as a mother when the Heathens tell others that they know everything will work out for the best, because the Head Zookeeper said so - and she always makes it work.

I feel loved as a mother when my Heathens ask how MY day was at work - and then wait to hear my response because they genuinely want to know.

I feel loved as a mother when my Heathens tell others that they are unavailable for something because they have a "family commitment" and they aren't upset to miss a chance to go to the movies to attend a young cousin's birthday party instead.

I don't need a card or flowers - I need their love, which they share with me every day.

I did receive an over-the-shoulder "Happy Mother's Day" from one of the older two Heathens after spending an hour talking to me about their weekend.  I'll take the conversation over the words any day.

Love my Heathens.  And cards or flowers don't make the difference.  At least, not for me.

No comments: