Saturday, May 7, 2016

Hugs, Hula Hoops, Water Slides, and Misbehavior

It has been a month since my Gram's passing - and I still think of her everyday.  I'm sure I will for many days yet to come.

My Heathens have reached the point where they remember happy moments with her again.  Ice cream, her candy dish when she would tell them to take a handful after I had said they could have just a few.  Her bird clock now hangs in my kitchen - chirping out the hours 24 hours a day.  No one else wanted the silly thing, but it brings my Heathens such happiness.  They know how she loved her bird-watching.  And when they hear the clock chirp, they yell, "Hi, Great Gram! Love you!" towards the kitchen - which never fails to make me smile.

My Gram was such a major part of my life.  After my grandfather's death when I was twelve, Gram was always with us - she did everything except sleep at our house.  She was at basketball & volleyball games, wrestling matches, concerts - always cheering us on and pointing out to anyone and everyone which ones where HER grandchildren.  I never doubted her love for me.

By choosing to raise my own children in town, our extended family grew - Gram started attending school concerts for great grandchildren, running errands with small children in tow, lunch dates with small blond boys.  She was at every holiday meal at my mother's house.  Although "old-fashioned" in nature, my Heathens were blessed to spend so much time with her.

Gram always met you with a hug and made sure you left with another hug - she wasn't skimpy with her affection.  Most hugs were accompanied by a huge kiss on the cheek and her telling you that she loved your and how glad she was to see you.



After my grandfather died, instead of shutting herself into her house - she remade her life.  I can only imagine the courage and strength it took for her to do that.  And she continued to have fun - despite what people thought was appropriate for her age.

My Aunt Paula organized a surprise luau for Gram's 70th birthday.  One of her grandchildren talked her into the hula hoop:

When she was in her mid-eighties, she and I took a trip to the local swimming pool - taking my 3 Heathens, as well as the youngest two grandchildren (5 children under driving age).  One of the children joking asked her to go down the water slide.  She grinned and headed for the steps.


She didn't head for the small slide on the left.  She headed for the slide on the RIGHT - that requires several flights of stairs to reach the top.  And DOWN SHE WENT!  When she popped to the surface of the water, all five children were cheering as though she had just won a gold medal.  The teenage lifeguard looked as though he was going to die at the idea of fishing her out of the water.  She got out, giggled, and said she thought once a day was enough.  (My mother was quite upset that I "allowed" her to do such a thing at her age!)

When we made arrangements for her haircut, we would always decide what type of trouble we were going to cause while we were out together.  And when I would take her home, I would tell her to misbehave until I came back.  She would giggle and tell me to misbehave as well.

Then I would get my guaranteed hug and "I love you" before I headed out the door.  I always told her I had more trouble to cause and she would giggle again.  When I would arrive the next time, she would ask me what kind of trouble I had been causing.

Unfortunately, there will be no more hugs or giggles for a while.  I was sure that I wouldn't be told to go cause trouble (after all, I am an "adult").

Then this arrived in the mail on the inside of a card:

So, there will be more trouble, and giggling!  I just need to be reminded.  Look out, World, the Heathens and I have a mission of misbehavior in honor of Great Gram.  I'm sure we will do her proud.

No comments: