Friday, July 28, 2017

Day Camp Era Ends

For the past eleven years, I have been to Cub Scout Day Camp.  It has been an adventure EVERY year.

The first summer I attended the first day with Heathen #1 - and I was 9 months pregnant with Heathen #3. That Wednesday was the ONLY day I could attend as I was scheduled for an induction the following morning on Thursday.  I was due on July 12.  Wednesday was July 13.  The camp nurse was a woman that I had known for years.  And when she saw me arrive, I had to PROMISE that I wouldn't go into labor while I was at camp.

We had a great day with perfect weather.  The fresh air was fabulous and although tired, I felt great.  The only difficulty of the day was that the bathrooms were not centrally located and I needed to visit them frequently.

At 3:30, the group assembled for the closing flag ceremony and I excused myself from my group for yet another trip to the bathroom.  Part way to the restroom, my water broke - at camp with more than 200 cub scouts.  And I had scouts that I had to take home in addition to my own Heathens.  I managed to round up the kids I needed and leave camp without having to admit to the nurse that I DID go into labor at camp - and I've never told her!  I really had every intention of keeping that promise when I made it that morning.

Heathen #3 has attended Day Camp every year, including the year of his birth, except for one year when it overlapped with church camp.  I attended Day Camp that year even though I DIDN'T have a scout there!

Archery, crafts, games, nature, feature, BB guns, scout skills, theme - stations that I will never visit again.  I learned as much as my Heathens did over the years.  I can tie the knots (some of them and not as well as the Heathens), I can start a fire (better than the Heathens), I've learned about space, the ocean, the Oregon Trail and so much more.

I've watched Heathens fall asleep in the car every day on the way home - every year.  I've never heard one say they DIDN'T want to attend.

I've been a "walker" every year - chaperoning groups of scouts from station to station.  I've watched them run when they were supposed to walk and walk when they were supposed to run.  I've survived crafts that always seemed to involve a scout swinging a hammer and me holding the nail.  I've survived archery and BB guns and yelled the phrase "keep that pointed down range!" more times than I can count.  I've watched a scout put skittles in his nose and then look at me as though nothing was strange - and then eat said Skittles.  I've searched for scouts that wandered away from their groups.  I've survived Mother Nature in all her glory, packed into small rooms with small boys, waiting for the storm to pass.

I've watched my Heathens make friends and I've made friends myself.

But the Heathens are finished with Day Camp, at least as campers.  I could see them going back as staff at some point, but that will be their choice.  I have regained three days in the month of July for many years to come.  And while I won't be going to Day Camp next summer, I don't know that I'll ever pass the month of July without thinking of it.

No comments: