Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Duchess of Shady

Meet the Duchess of Shady Lane.

The Asst. Zookeeper has said for years that he wanted a dog that was a mutt, with one blue eye and one brown eye and he wanted to name him Duke. Duke would be the best dog in the world according to him. It was always like listening to a little kid tell you about the dog he wanted for Christmas.

Last September, on my way home from a meeting in Bedford, I stopped at the SPCA. I found a mutt, with one blue eye and one brown eye. But she was a girl. I went home to the zoo to pick up the Asst. Zookeeper and the Heathens to go meet her. I was hoping her personality would override the fact that she was female.

Obviously we brought her home. "Duchess" was as close as we could get to "Duke." And if I could clone this dog I would. She's housebroken. Well-mannered. Listens. Is FABULOUS with children.

She's usually very dignified. Unless, of course, you look like someone who could rub her belly. Start to pet the Duchess, and she oozes to the floor and rolls over. And she will lay there as long as you will rub. And of course, the foot has to move!

The Duchess joined the Zoo a year ago, and she's been a great addition!

No comments: