Thursday, January 31, 2008

Landon's "boo-boo" finger - a recollection

Heathen #3 entered the realms of the "broken bone" club at the Miller zoo in November.­ I'd spent the past summer thinking how lucky we've been at our house.­ It's been roughly three plus years since we've has any broken bones.­ It almost seemed strange to me.­ I always thought that was what boys did -­ break bones.­ We did have the short spell several years ago where either Tristan or Gavin had a cast for a period of three or four months straight.­ But other than that, the boys have been very resilient.­ We didn't even have too many skinned knees this past summer.­

Well, on Saturday, November 11, 2007 around 11 o'clock, our luck ran out.­ Landon was sitting in his grandfather's truck with the door open.­ We were all standing around waiting to be able to start sorting scout popcorn.­ Tristan crawled past Landon into the truck -­ and swung the door shut.­ It was at that point that Landon started to cry.­

I got the door open within just a few seconds and I held Landon while he cried.­ The tears only lasted about three minutes -­ which amazed me.­ He then announced that he was "aw wight" and asked to be put down.­ He was a little grouchy for the next few hours, but that seemed reasonable enough considering that he'd had his hand shut in a door!

I took him to the emergency room that night for x-­rays.­ It wasn't slowing him down much, but it was starting to swell.­ And besides, with our schedule in life, that was the best time to take him.­ It would be a full week before Dan and I were both home at the same time.

Landon let them poke, prod, turn, x-­ray and splint that broken finger with little more than a "it hurts.­" I've never seen so many adults apologize to a small child who wasn't crying.­ He was such a trooper about the whole ordeal.­ And he left the splint on and makes sure he knows where his tape was.­

We did have to put a Spiderman band-­aid on the other hand solely for decorative purposes.­ However, I think that was the least I could do for the poor kid.­ When I took him to daycare this morning, he made sure that he had his tape with him and that Miss Melissa knew how the splint was supposed to be taped on.­

So much for a lack of broken bones in our house!

No comments: