Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Take the Heathens to Work Day

Heathen #3 had a grand adventure for Takw Your Child To Work Day. And, as I was making the arrangements for that trip, I knew the other Heathens needed something for that day as well. Only, the Zoo has an employment issue. 

None of the Heathens want to be a teacher/professor (what I do) and because they are students, they already have a pretty good idea of what happens all day.  

While the Heathens would probably be fascinated by the prospect of a trip underground with the Asst. Zookeeper, laws and regulations forbid it. No pretending to be the chief electrician at a coal mine - even if you stay above ground all day. 

Two parents = two strike outs. 

And I'm okay with the fact that my Heathens will probably never "follow in my footsteps" when it comes to choosing an occupation. Because I am ME and they are all very separate, and different HEATHENS. 

Heathen #1, at the age of 17 and at the end of his junior year is currently looking at a machinist apprenticeship program. He attended the open house offered several months ago and came home very intrigued. I kept the paperwork and pulled it out a few weeks ago. 

With a few phones calls, I was able to set up a job shadowing for the eldest Heathen on April 23rd. While I was in New York, I received the following texts:


With me in NYC, the eldest Heathen had to get himself up and go location prior to 7am. When I called him at 6:30, he was already at Sheetz getting breakfast and excited to be on his way. 

Needless to say, the Heathen came home from a great experience and learned so much. Thank you, to JWF Industries and Mr. Rob Pytash for all your efforts on behalf of my Heathen. 

Heathen #2 was bitten by the technology bug a few years ago, thanks to the schools Technology Club, run by Mrs. McCreary. Luckily, the Asst. Zookeeper and I are friends with the CEO of Prime Design Solutions. After exchanging a few emails, Heathen #2 was cleared to spend the day at the office, working on graphic design and layout, marketing, etc. 

This Heathen sent me text updates as well!  Read on:



Later that day, this was posted to the company's Facebook page:


As this Heathen is still too young to drive (and I was out of town), my parents willingly transported the middle Heathen both directions - his grandfather picked him up at the Zoo at 7:30 and took him to breakfast. His grandmother picked him up at the end of his work day and took him home. I couldn't have managed it without the transport help. Thank you, Granddad and Grammy B!

The Heathen came home happily babbling about everything he had gotten to do that day. Another success!! Thank you to Mr. Brian Law and the rest of the staff at Prime Design Solutions for sharing your work day with my Heathen. 

April 23, 2015 was an ASTOUNDINGLY successful day in the life of the Zoo.  Not only did all three Heathens gain valuable experience and knowledge, but we experienced others being willing to step in and share an experience with my Heathens. Not that the Asst. Zookeeper and I needed any proof that we made the right choice for our Heathens by living here, but our Heathens experienced and witnessed the value of family, friends, and community. Thank you to all for April 23rd!

No comments: