Friday, April 17, 2015

Quarter-Circle Nerd

Yesterday, I wrote a post about my middle Heathen - that didn't paint either of us in a very pleasant light. We were both moody and miserable until the very end.  It reminded me of a conversation I had with the youngest Heathen a few weeks ago.

The littlest Heathen is a smart cookie and he is curiosity with feet and almost constant access to Google.  I think his current favorite phrase at the moment is, "I don't know. Hang on, I'll Google it."

Unfortunately, he doesn't always have the best social skills when it comes to keeping his intelligence from annoying certain people at school - and he's come home quite upset several times because he's been dubbed a NERD. In fourth grade, this is heavy stuff and not to be taken lightly. 

So I showed him two pictures. This is the first one. :


And I asked him if it would be very fun to play with for very long?  He said no, it doesn't do much. All the pegs are the same and they won't even go the whole way through because the floor gets in their way. I asked him what would it be like if people were like these pegs - we might be different colors and look different, but what if we were all good at the same things? He decided that was be boring, too. 

I told him that school kids - clear up through high school want everyone to be the same. To be just like them, because it helps them feel safe as part of the group. 

Then, I showed him this picture:


I told him this is our Zoo. None of us are the same. But we all have our shape and place as part of the group. I asked him to pick shapes that might describe his brothers. 

He picked the six-sided hexagon for Heathen #1 "because it looks like a gear and he likes to make things work and fix things." I agreed it was an accurate choice (and description).

He picked the heart shape for Heathen #2 "because when he cares about something, he's completely committed to it. And he's really loyal and cares about a lot of things, and that takes a big heart." Again, I agreed completely (and tried not to sniffle too loudly).

I asked him for a shape for me. And he quickly announced that I was the plus sign because I taught math. No surprises there!

What about for the Asst. Zookeeper? "What shape would Daddy be?" I asked.

He wasn't sure if the Asst. Zookeeper should be the star, since he loves to fly airplanes, or if he should be the trapezoid, because it reminded him of a tent and Daddy loves to do anything outdoors.  We decided that both would work, depending on the day and what Daddy chooses to do.

Then I asked him to pick a shape for himself. And he paused for a long time and started at the picture and I could see the wheels turning as he thought them all through as possibilities. 

He said, "I don't know what shape I am."  

And I asked him if he could only be one shape? If the Asst. Zookeeper could be either of two, couldn't he be more than one shape as well? Couldn't he be one shape on one day, then be another shape another day?  He still fit in the "family" regardless of what shape he was. 

But, I told him I was pretty sure he was our quarter-circle shape. Because it had the ability to rock on one side, or sit strongly on another. It could be part of a bigger circle or it could stand alone.  It looked like a nerd shape to me. And he grinned. "None of the other pieces can roll AND stand."

That's my nerd - figured it out that quickly. 

To my nerd Heathen (and his Heathen brothers): whatever shape you are, you will always have a place at the Zoo. You might have struggle at school or out in the "big world" to find your nitch, your slot, your opening that fits your perfectly. But you will find it. You may have to change shapes several times to find the correct one. 

Until then, keep trying on shapes, see what fits YOU the best and which makes you happy. 

There is a slot at the Zoo for any shape you choose to become.  

No comments: