Thursday, July 19, 2012

Anniversary = Lake + Fireworks!

July 7th was my wedding anniversary - the Asst. Zookeeper and I completed another year without driving each other insane and generally enjoyed ourselves in the process.

We've never made a huge deal out of our anniversary.  No huge plans - just a normal day with an extra hug somewhere in the middle.  And yesterday started out no differently.

We dropped Heathen #1 off at Living Waters in Schellsburg, PA and then we headed to Yellow Creek State Park to do some boating.  We had perfect weather!

While swimming in the lake in one of the coves, the Asst. Zookeeper was bitten by a fish!  When I originally heard him swear while sitting in the water, I assumed that he stubbed his toe on a rock.  I was wrong!

The fish actually bite him hard enough
to draw BLOOD!
Although I look like I'm in the water next to the sailboat,
I'm actually sitting in a kayak!  It was perfect "lake" weather!
For those who don't know, pigtails are a required fashion
statement for a day on the lake.

After spending several hours at the lake with the boats, we headed home to change clothes and head out for the next adventure.

Just before we left for the lake, the Asst. Zookeeper received a phone call from one of the guys that works at Madison Mine with him.  Hutsky's family was celebrating the 4th of July that evening with a pig roast and fireworks and we were invited - hurray!

When I was told it was a family event, I was thinking approximately 20 people and some small fire crackers.  I was SOOOOOOOO wrong.  We pulled into where the picnic was to find well over 100 people and a professional fireworks display.  Here's the field after the men had it ready for the show.


The fireworks show was phenomenal!  We were so close that we were showered with the ash from the explosions.  There was almost no delay between the explosion overhead and the sound - it was amazing.  The fireworks at the mall couldn't hold a candle to the show we saw at the pig roast!






Fireworks are one of my most favorite things - always have been.  This show has only been topped by what I've seen at Niagara Falls and in Washington, D.C. 

For an anniversary with no plans for anything when I rolled out of bed, we had an amazing day!

No comments: