Sunday, March 11, 2012

All Plates Spinning!

Every once in a while, I actually succeed at being "Mom."  It doesn't happen as often as I would like it to happen.  Most times, I feel like I'm spinning 10 plates in the air at the same time and they are all in danger of falling.  Friday last week, all the plates were spinning beautifully!

After last year's Storybook Character Day fiasco, I swore to myself it wouldn't happen again.  Last year, I had two days to find/make character costumes for Heathens #2 and #3 for school.  After a mad dash to the local costume store and $60+ later, neither Heathen was happy with his costume.  But the choices were limited and time was even more limited than the choices.  I swore 2012 would be better!

I started watching for the school announcement for Storybook Character Day immediately following Christmas.  It was NOT going to sneak up on me again!

This year, I had two weeks to get my act together - and brainstorm two male storybook characters that the Heathens would think were cool enough.  I literally spent a good two hours searching the Internet for good characters and created a list of approximately 35 characters.  And the Heathens chose:

Pinocchio and Jiminy Cricket

Pinocchio was an easy costume.  I found it on the Internet for a ridiculously cheap price and ordered it right away.  Jiminy Cricket was another story altogether.  If it wasn't for my mother-in-law and her love of putting together costumes, Heathen #3 wouldn't have looked half as good as he did.  Here are the results:

Heathen #2 as
Pinocchio

Showing off his puppet strings.

Heathen #3 as Jiminy Cricket.

He knows he looks like a million dollars!

Here are Pinocchio and Jiminy Cricket together!  I was THRILLED with how awesome they looked and they were so proud of their costumes!

Pinocchio and Jiminy Cricket (the puppet and his conscience)
Heathen #2 and #3 were thrilled with their costumes!
I think Heathen #3 was meant to wear this type of clothing on a regular basis.  From the moment he put it on, he continually posed.  And he used the umbrella as a prop to show more attitude!  Look at him in all of these photos!  This last photo shows EXACTLY what I mean.  He wasn't even aware that I was taking the photo!

Look at the poise!

No comments: