Sunday, November 29, 2009

Fluffing the Tree

One job I never would have listed as a "Christmas job" is fluffing the tree. It is an essential task in any home that has an artificial tree. The year that Heathen #3 was born, the Asst. Zookeeper and I caved and bought one. Every year when I drag it out of the attic, I still feel guilty that it's a fake. But I don't miss the pine needles everywhere.

Saturday, I hauled the tree down from the attic. I wrestled it out of the bag and managed to put it together in mostly the correct order. Stepping back to look at it, I was once again struck by how much I really don't like artificial trees. Still, I reminded myself about the lack of pine needles everywhere.


I spent more than an hour "fluffing" the tree. It looked a bit better after I was done, but it still looked fake.


Usually, the Asst. Zookeeper is the official "tree fluffer" in our zoo. This year he was outside fighting the cold and wind to hang the lights on the roof line. Which left me with the tree.


I couldn't have done TOO badly fluffing the tree. Within an hour, Nina (our newest cat) was up in it. She's adopted it as her new home. Thank heavens she's still little and just over a pound. I don't know that the tree could handle a much bigger cat!

No comments: