Friday, August 7, 2009

Kinzua Trip - Day 2 (After Bed)

As we were getting into our tent for the night, we heard some thunder over the hills. We threw the rain fly onto our tent, and crawled into the sleeping bags. Never gave it another thought.

Part way into the night, around 1:30 am, I woke up because I had rain dripping on me. I slid my cot over a little bit so that I was out from under the drip, and went back to sleep. About half an hour later, another drip woke me up. I moved Heathen #3 over so that I could move my cot further out of the way.

At that point, the Asst. Zookeeper woke up and asked me if I was getting wet. And it was REALLY storming outside. We discovered that our rain fly was leaking at the very peak and was allowing the rain to come in threw the mesh at the top of the tent - effectively raining inside the tent.

We decided to set the dining fly up over top of the tent for the night. The only flashlight we could find was Heathen #3's little Tiki bird. When you squeeze his tail, he sings and opens his beak for the light. But he is not very bright. Using only this little bird, we put up the fly. But the Tiki bird is hard to hold onto, so we kept having to re=squeeze the button and listen to him sing again.

During the entire process, Heathen #3 was sitting in the tent crying that he wanted his bird back. But atleast we were able to go back to sleep without it raining inside our tent!

No comments: